What are wrinkle relaxers?
Wrinkle relaxers are cosmetic injections that stop the contraction of specific muscles. They prevent the deepening of existing wrinkles and dynamic lines and prevent the muscles from creating new ones. Lines form on our face as a result of daily expressions and become deeper over time, eventually folding to become static wrinkles.
How does it work?
The muscle movement is stopped by temporarily blocking the nerve receptor to the muscle. This causes the muscles to relax and prevents muscle contraction, seeing a visible reduction in wrinkles and fine lines.
Common areas treated:
- Frown lines
- Crow’s feet
- Masseters (for grinding / clenching teeth)
- Upper lip for lines
- Lip flip
- Gummy smile
- Excessive sweating / hyperhidrosis (underarms, hands and feet)
- Bunny lines
- Downturn smile
- Chin for dimpling and mental crease
- Platysma bands in the neck
- Calf slimming
- Trapezius relaxation / reduction
- Nostril flare
How long do they last?
Wrinkle relaxers will start working within 3-5 days with the full effect seen at 2 weeks after the treatment.
This treatment typically lasts 3-4 months but may vary from patient to patient.
A consultation is required with one of our registered nurses and cosmetic physicians before all injectable procedures where the patient’s concerns and goals are discussed.
- Avoid laying down, touching the area or applying pressure for 4 hours.
- Avoid exercise for 24 hours after wrinkle relaxer injections.
- Consumption of alcohol should be avoided pre and post-treatment.
- Blood thinning medication and supplements should be avoided 2 weeks prior to treatment.
- Makeup should be avoided post-treatment for 24 hours.